Mount of Beatitudes
We missed the Mount of Beatitudes on our descent from the Golan Heights, so we had to backtrack a ways. It's on the north shore of the Sea of Galilee.
This photo was taken from there, looking down toward the Sea of Galilee. This is believed by many to be the place where Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount at the beginning of his public ministry.
We arrived there late in the day and went to a peaceful garden where I looked up references in the Bible to places we'd seen that day. By the time we got back to the gate, it was closed and locked. We had to knock and shout for quite awhile before someone heard and came to let us out!
The beatitudes are found in Matthew 5:3-11:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
Go on to read about Nazareth
Source: www.SusanCAnthony.com, ©Susan C. Anthony